Bigfoot is at the intersection of Farm roads 462 and 472, eighteen miles northeast of Pearsall in northeastern Frio County. The site was settled about 1865 and during its early years was known as Connally’s Store, for Bob Connally. D.T. Winters established a gin and mill there by 1880. A Baptist church was organized there in the 1880s, and by 1890 Bigfoot had a general store and an estimated population of twenty-five. During the 1890s citizens opened a public school, which in 1907 had three teachers and 105 pupils. The community had a population of 146 in 1900, but much of the town’s business section was burned in 1903. Bigfoot’s population fell to an estimated 100 by the 1930s, and in the 1940s the community had a church, a school, a row of five businesses, and a number of scattered dwellings. The Bigfoot school consolidated with that of Devine in 1949. With the development in the 1950s of the Bigfoot oilfield to the south, the community grew, and in 1964 it had a population of 210: three churches, two businesses, and a number of dwellings. During the 1970s its population diminished again, and was estimated at seventy-five from 1972 to 1992. The Bigfoot Wallace museum is in the community.
The latitude of Bigfoot is 29.046N. The longitude is -98.866W. It is in the Central Standard time zone. Elevation is 650 feet. The population, at the time of the 2000 census, was 304.
The links are provided as a service to help with research or to further knowledge of the history and origin of the Bigfoot Community. The links can change at any time without notice.
Bigfoot Catholic Church
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel
Welcome - Mass: Domingo - Sunday 11:30A.M.
Bigfoot Church of Christ
Sunday Bible Study 10:00A.M.
Worship Services 11:00A.M.
Evening Services 5:00P.M.
Reservations can be made by calling the Frio Road and Bridge Department at (830)334-0085.
A $100 fee is required. $75 is actual fee with a $25 cleaning fee that is refunded to you if you clean the park.